How to Identify and Select a Consultant
When planning an on-site treatment system, wineries must engage a consultant to design and install the system and obtain the necessary permits and approvals.
Wineries can identify potential consultants through:
- Online searches
- Talking to other wineries that have installed on-site wastewater treatment systems
- Reviewing existing Environmental Compliance Approvals for wastewater treatment systems installed at Ontario wineries
Consultants Involved in the Installation of Provincially-Approved Wastewater Treatment Systems (as of March 2015)
|AQUA Treatment Technologies||Peninsula Ridge Estates Winery
Angels Gate Winery
|AMEC Earth & Environmental||Diamond Estates
Peninsula Ridge Estates Winery
|Agra Earth & Environmental||Chateau des Charmes Wines Ltd.|
|Dobri Engineering Ltd.||Oak Heights Estate Winery|
|Gamsby and Mannerow Ltd.||Angels Gate Winery|
|Hatch Acres||Inniskillin Wines|
|Andrew Hellebust||Weir Vineyards|
|MMM Group Limited||Southbrook Vineyards|
|Terra-Dynamics Consulting Ltd.||Vineland Estates|
|Totten Sims Hubicki Associates||Southbrook Vineyards|
The following due diligence questions can help wineries select a consultant:
- What experience does the consultant have:
- designing wastewater treatment systems for wastewater containing elevated organics and solids?
- designing wastewater treatment systems for Ontario wineries?
- navigating the approval process in Ontario, including approvals from the municipality, the Province, and Conservation Authorities?
- Can the consultant provide client references that have similar wastewater challenges, including system performance, capital and operating costs, and maintenance data?
- Does the consultant have the ability to undertake all required monitoring and reporting on behalf of the winery?
It is important that wineries understand what work consultants are doing on their behalf to ensure that all regulatory compliance and reporting requirements are met.